Police investigate shooting at East High School in Des Moines on March 7, 2022. Multiple people were shot outside of East High School in Des Moines. Police are investigating the scene. Zach Boyden-Holmes/The Register
Advertisements

By Chris Higgins, Des Moines Register

Police have arrested and charged four more teenagers with murder in the March 7 shooting outside East High School that left one teenager dead and two others in critical condition.

According to a news release Tuesday, the Des Moines Police Department made additional arrests in the investigation over the shooting that killed 15-year-old Jose Lopez-Pere in what police have said was a targeted drive-by incident against him. Six other teenagers have already been arrested.

The additional teenagers, charged with one count of first degree murder and two counts of attempted murder, include:

Gumaro Marquez-Jacobo, 18, of Des Moines

Braulio Hernandez-Salas, 17, of Des Moines

Daniel Hernandez, 17, of Des Moines

Advertisements

Kevin Isidro Martinez, 16, of Des Moines

All four are being held on $2 million cash bond. Their preliminary hearings are set for April 8. Prosecutors have requested that some of the teens previously charged be moved into adult detention.

Detectives reviewed residential camera footage in the area of the shooting that shows shots fired at the victims from three vehicles that were following closely by each other, the release said. Police identified people in the vehicles through surveillance video and interviews of suspects and acquaintances, according to the release and criminal complaints.

Advertisements

The complaints say that police viewed camera footage that showed a Mercedes sedan, a Ford Fusion and a Ford F-150 leaving an address on 23rd Street shortly before the shooting.

Advertisements

The vehicles matched the description of the vehicles used in the shooting, which was also caught on camera. The vehicles before returned to the address after the shooting.

The footage also shows identifiable people entering and exiting the vehicles, according to the complaints.

Investigators found 27 spent shell casings at the scene. 15 more casings were found after examining the three vehicles. Police believe that six firearms were used in the shooting and concluded that gunfire came from all three vehicles.

Chris Higgins covers the eastern suburbs for the Register. Reach him at [email protected] or 515-423-5146 and follow him on Twitter @chris_higgins_.

Facebook Comments

Advertisements