Friday Night Fights: Gorilla Warfare, The Return of the Champs


On Friday the 13th there were killers out for blood but instead of a hockey mask their weapons were their hands, knees, elbows and feet.  The River Center in Davenport, IA hosted Gorilla Warfare: The Return of the Champs 2 of 4, showcasing local mixed martial artists.  Some of the camps that were represented were; Militech Fighting Systems, Nile Pena’s Boxing, Travis Tarpeins Martial Arts, Team Evolution, Midwest Martial Arts Groups and Mardy’s Martial Arts.

Quentin Boyer, 25, out of Mardy’s Martial Arts made. his debut in MMA at 175lbs fighting against Militech fighter Diego Rodriguez.  Being new to the sport, Boyer said, “I’ve always had an adrenaline rush.  This is something you have to experience for yourself.  With my wresting background, wherever it goes, I’m pretty confident.”  Both fighters kept it standing for a minute, then to the ground where control was passed back and forth.  The second round was similar to the first as the two would be one of the few fights of the night to go into the third and final round.  Boyer took Rodriguez to the mat several times but ultimately it would be Rodriguez who would win, submitting Boyer with a barrage of punches as the ref stepped in with the stoppage.

Travis Tarpeins and Nile Pena’s Boxing were well represented as Militech fighter Jason Louck submitted Mackenzie “The Ghetto Gorilla” Jackson with an armbar.  When asked his thoughts as to why Jackson did not tap earlier even though the arm obviously trapped. Louck replied, “I think it was a lot of heart more than anything.  He’s got lot of heart and is a tough guy.  I’m comfortable at getting rocked and most guys would fold up in that situation.

In the co-main event, Militech product, Ramiro “Hot Hands” Hernandez defeated Tony “Cool Breeze” Phiathep in the first round from punches. “My goal was to take him down, tire him out, and pick him apart. Hernandez explained.  “My transition needs work between the take down defense and the take downs themselves.”


In the main event, a rematch between Eric “Big Country” Poling and MFS fighter, 260lb Alex Rozman exploded as both fighters came out swinging thunderous shots in the first round.  A low blow break came in the second round as Alex Rozman was given the five minutes allotted for the foul.  The ref would step in to stop the fight late in the third round as Poling would take the victory as he secured full mount on Rozman. 

The fighters were not only in the ring but peppered all over the River Center as, former UFC Heavyweight Champion Tim Sylvia, L.C. Davis, Drew McFedries, and guest referee for the night, Spencer Fisher were in attendance.

Facebook Comments