BETTENDORF – Ten area students are one step closer to achieving their academic goals. Each earned $1,000 to help pay for their college costs as part of the Ascentra Credit Union Scholarship Competition. The scholarship awards five $1,000 scholarships to high school students planning to enter college. The other five $1,000 scholarships are given to members age 19 or over, considered non-traditional or continuing education students.
The high school scholarship winners include:
• Alex Belzer, Davenport, Iowa
• Christian Elliot, Blue Grass, Iowa
• Karly Lent, Bettendorf, Iowa
• Alexandria Salsberry, Bettendorf, Iowa
• Emma Wichman, Bettendorf, Iowa
The non-traditional or continuing education winners include:
• Luke Giovanine, Moline, Ill.
• Laura Kulp, LeClaire, Iowa
• Andrea Ochoa-Raya, Moline, Ill.
• Alondra Rosas, Moline, Ill.
• Tyson Schulte, Milan, Ill.
All entries are judged on their essay, resume, awards, extracurricular activities, volunteer services and work experience. The competition is announced every October with the deadline in March of the following year. Official rules may be picked up at any of our branches or found online at www.ascentra.org/scholarships.
Awarding a total of $10,000 in scholarships is another way Ascentra Credit Union recognizes that financial planning and education is essential to lifetime success for its members and community.